Important information on the schedule for the end of the 2019-20 School Year:
1. The last day of school for students will be Friday, June 12th. I will request a waiver for four (4) student days from the Commissioner of Education, bringing the total number of student days to 171.
2. The last day of school for seniors will be Friday, June 5th. This is a difference of five (5) days from the rest of our students, which is the maximum difference allowed.
3. The last day to assign new learning for seniors would be Monday, June 1st and for all other students, Friday June 5th.
4. During the week of June 8th, teachers will focus on assisting students with make-up work and closing activities.
5. All teaching staff will be involved in professional development and planning activities from June 15th through June 18th.
a. The professional development will focus on the implementation of a robust online learning management system called Schoology.
b. Planning activities will include vertical team discussions on ensuring a smooth transition for students to the next grade level and identifying curriculum missed this spring that will need attention in the fall.
c. School administrators, in collaboration with Curriculum Coordinator Melissa Davis and school leadership teams, will customize the work to best fit the needs of their grade span.
6. Building administrators and their leadership teams will develop plans for the safe return of all student school materials including textbooks, laptops, and other items. At the same time, students will be allowed to pick up and take home any personal items still stored at school.
7. Building administrators and their leadership teams will develop plans for end of year activities such as step up day, awards/recognition assemblies, and graduation.
8. All End of Year activities must follow the parameters set by the Governor’s Order and the recommendations of the CDC and Commissioner of Education Pender Makin.
Gary J. Gonyar